Lea was 13 years old when this picture was taken. She is standing at the back to the left. At the front to the left is Lea’s mother and, behind her, Lea’s father.
I was there.
Lea Gleitman* was born in 1924 in Oswiecim, southern Poland. Her brother Jehuda and sister Miriam were a couple of years older, and her sister Balcia three years younger. Her father Jonah ran a fabric shop and her mother Szprinca was a housewife.
In 1932, when Lea was eight, the family moved to Sosnowiec. It was a modern town and Lea used to go to the cinema and theatre. Some of the inhabitants were hostile towards Jews and every so often Jews were attacked in the town.
* Lea's maiden name was Posner.
Lea Gleitman (1924), Poland
Lea talks about her family: father Jonah, mother Szprinca and siblings Jehuda, Miriam och Balcia. [English subtitles will soon be made available.]
1) Listen to Lea as she talks about her family. Then answer these questions:
Life in Oswiecim
Lea talks about life in Oświęcim, the Sabbath (the Jewish weekend) and the Jewish holidays.
2) Listen to Lea as she talks about life before the war. Then answer the following question:
The Family Moves to Sosnowiec
Lea talks about the time when the family moved to Sosnowiec and what life was like there.
3) Listen to Lea as she talks about the move to Sosnowiec. Then answer the following questions:
Jewish Life in Oswiecim and Sosnowiec
A slideshow about the Jewish life in Oswiecim and Sosnowiec.
4) Watch the presentation explaining Jewish life in Oswiecim and Sosnowiec. Then answer the following question: